Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2012

White Wine for Warming Weather

Oregon Pinot Gris is great for a warm, sunny afternoon. Usually light and crisp, this variatal, when grown in Oregon, produces an easy drinking wine that can be enjoyed during the spring and summer months.

Spindrift Cellars Pinot Gris is one such wine. Located in the Willamette valley, Spindrift cellars is a small, family run, winery that produces Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Syrah, and Riesling. Spindrift cellars 2011 Pinot Gris has all the characteristics of a great Oregon Pinot Gris.  Light to medium bodied with pineapple, citrus, and honey that ends with a crisp, slightly dry, finish.  This wine can be enjoyed with any type of cheese, fruit, fish, or salad dish.


Pinot Gris:  Grown in France, Italy (where it is known as Pinot Grigio), the United States and Germany.  Grapes range in color from golden to grey.  Can produce wines with high sugars with a sweet taste to dry, crisp wines with little to no sweetness.











Where to find in Seattle?

Pike & Western Wine Shop
http://www.pikeandwestern.com/
Pike & Western Wine Shop
1934 Pike Place
Seattle, WA 98101

Note:  May not be stocked in shop but can order online.

Portalis Wines
http://www.portaliswines.com/
5205 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle WA 98107
206-783-2007


Or order direct from Spindrift Cellars
http://www.spindriftcellars.com/
810 Applegate Street Philomath, OR 97370
(541) 929-6555

3 comments:

  1. Yum, this one sounds really good! I wonder if you could educate us on what determines different wines. For example, what is the difference between a Chardonnay vs a Pinot Gris?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sky - great post! I've always wanted to go to Oregon and visit some wineries...I had no idea how beautiful the Oregon countryside was until I drove through it on my way home from college in Arizona, pretty breathtaking!

    I think it's great how you include where you can find the wine in Seattle - that's always something I remember to do on my fashion blog; rather than post a ton of clothes and not list where to get them, it's important to include where you can purchase things and links (if applicable) - no one likes looking at things and then not knowing where to get them! Great work...looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like certain wines and I don't know why or how to identify the fruit and honey flavors. I like the Pinot family so I enjoyed your post. I also like Reisling. Thanks for the info on where to find these wines. Secateurs seems stronger than Pinot Gris. "Room temp" is meant for "cellar temp," so it means that wines are kept cool in about 50° or so—yes? My brother brought wine from Germany. MET Honey Wine from Weinhandel Fa Scheffler Anton (oh so sweet--I don't like sweet) and Aldeutscher Glühwein from Glühwein Deutschlands in Flashen. The second one is called Christmas wine and you drink it warm. I don’t know how to keep these wines.

    ReplyDelete